Friday, July 23, 2010

Funny Stuff

The Livestock Dairy and Poultry Outlook report just came out. It is available at: http://www.ers.usda.gov/Publications/LDP/2010/07Jul/LDPM193.pdf

On page 20: "The current situation has Class IV prices above Class III prices, a reflection of the tightness in fat availability. Lower fat tests have boosted butter prices and may have helped firm up cheese prices as well. This situation should correct itself early in 2011."

I'm not sure of that. The protein test in the federal orders have been off as well - by a full point.

According to NASS milk production in the first six months of 2009 was 96262
million pounds and in 2010 Jan -June it was 97,076 million pounds - not a full point increase.

Total cheese production was up 1.9%. If you're following this, there is something very wrong with the picture. Last year they were putting considerable magic dust in the cheese vat. Cheese production - everything being equal , which it never is - should have been flat without even more "magic" in the cheese vat.

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad someone is blogging about the dairy situation. Being the daughter, sister, aunt, wife, and mother of dairymen in California, I understand the dairyman's plight. Although my blog is about writers and writing, I will find a way to pass on your site's address in one of my posts next week at: http://www.enterthebetween.blogspot.com. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Margaret, please find a way to pass on how dire the situation really is. Our so called leaders have abandoned us. [Brazingly telling us they won't do anything tell the next farm bill.] Let them know they aren't even following what they passed the last farm bill and fail to enforce laws already on the books. The big question is does America want American milk?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unfortunately, many of our so-called leaders are only interested in their own agendas. But even leeches know better than to kill the host. I'm experimenting with a new blog, THE VANISHING DAIRY, but don't feel knowledgeable enough to publish any posts just yet. Nor do I have the time to do a lot of research. Two blogs and revising four novels, plus all the responsibilies of dairy life. Oh my. But I'll do my best. Tomorrow I will mention your site in my post ME BLOG? at http://www.enterthebetween.blogspot.com. Hopefully, some non-dairy people will check you out. Sometimes it must feel like you're just singing to the choir.

    ReplyDelete